Quite a while back, I completed my very first Pinterest inspired task - creating several Frozen Slow Cooker Meals. I didn't take a picture of my own, so I stole this one from the original blog.
I tried five different recipes. It was a lot of work to create so many at once, so next time I'd narrow it down to two or three. I went to the grocery store only for the supplies I needed and spent about $175 to make 9 meals. At $20 a meal, I'd say the task was more for saving time rather than money.
You can find the recipes here and here. This is what I made and what I thought of them:
- Stephanie's Goulash - good, would make this again
- Chicken Curry - would add more curry next time, but overall good and would make again
- Chicken N' Cherries - SKIP IT. Flavor is 'off' and the chicken felt sticky.
- French Beef Dip - very good, even better the next day!
- Orange-Beef Stew - alright...flank steak is more expensive than I'd like to spend for a freezer meal so I probably won't make again.
There are still a few in the freezer, but once they are used up I'll make more. It is really nice to have a back-up plan to throw in the crock pot in the morning. Just leave enough time for it to thaw enough to fit in the pot - take it out right when you get up and put it in the crockpot as you are heading out the door.